Comfort, style and mobility should be your top considerations when looking for the best shoes for Zumba. Just like how you need the proper footwear when you run or play soccer, you need to find the right pair of zumba shoes to maximize your dance and fitness capabilities.
The wrong type of shoes can actually cause you discomfort thus limiting your movements. Worst, these can lead to injuries that may stop you from enjoying your favorite Zumba routines for a few days. You should look for shoes that will allow you to glide or turn smoothly, support lateral movements and offer the arch support or shock absorption you need for your Zumba moves. Slip-on sneakers, ballet slippers, and tennis shoes should not also be worn for Zumba or any other fitness dance.
With so many determining factors, you might think that searching for the best shoes for Zumba is a daunting task. No worries! We have prepared a comparison table to make choosing a lot easier for you. We also have reviews from actual Zumba aficionados who have shared their experiences, both good and bad, of the best Zumba shoes featured here.
What Types of Shoes Can You Wear for Zumba?
Not all shoes are suitable for an intense Zumba workout. The only types of shoes that you can wear in a Zumba class are aerobic dance shoes, dance sneakers, and cross trainers with mild grip at the bottom.
Among the three, aerobic dance shoes are the best Zumba footwear. They are usually built with the 5 main features that you need for a groovy fitness dance like Zumba. Generally, aerobic dance shoes are lightweight and flexible, have spin points and split soles, provide mild traction, and feature powerful shock absorption capabilities.
Dance sneakers are also lightweight and offer just the right grip but they usually lack fine cushioning for shock absorption. Cross training shoes are the least recommended because they typically have more grip and traction. However, they are very good in supporting lateral movements needed in a lot of Zumba exercises.
A Closer Look at the Top Zumba Shoes for Men and Women
If you want to learn more about the best brands of Zumba shoes, here are the top rated ones based on online customer reviews.
Top 3 Zumba Shoes for Women
Reebok was originally founded to cater running shoes to athletes but the company now provides impeccable aerobic shoes for dancers as well.
Capezio is one of the most reviewed and highly recommended brands of dance shoes. Like Sansha, Capezio started with making ballet and pointe shoes and eventually grew to create different kinds of dance shoes.
This is another pair of revolutionary dance shoes from the biggest fitness brand, Zumba.
Top 3 Zumba Shoes for Men
Sansha is a dance footwear company founded by Franck Raoul-Duval, a man with a special fondness and passion for dance.
Another best-selling item from Sansha, the Salsette 3 Jazz Sneaker features suede full sole and mesh uppers. The suede solo is designed to provide mild grip and allow you to glide and turn more easily.
Manufactured by the original Zumba fitness brand, the Fitness Men’s Z Kick II Sneaker complements your Zumba experience really well.
What Features Do the Best Zumba Shoes Have?
When shopping for a pair of Zumba shoes, it is very important that you know the type of dance floor you’ll be performing on and the kinds of movements you’ll be doing. Familiarize yourself with the venue of your Zumba class and the basic exercises so that you can make a wise decision when buying the best shoes for Zumba. Here are the 5 main features that you should look for in Zumba shoes:
- Spin Spot. One of the most defining features of the best Zumba shoes is the spin spot. It is a pivot point located underneath the ball area of your foot and is slightly smoother than the rest of your shoe’s outsole. Since Zumba is characterized by a lot of twisting and turning, the spin spot makes it a lot easier and safer for you to do pivotal movements with the balls of your feet. The spin spot also prevents knee and ankle injuries.
- Mild Grip. Zumba also has a lot of gliding movements that call for a mild-grip outsole that doesn’t have a lot of traction. This will allow you to glide and slide at ease without slipping, falling, or losing your balance. However, don’t forget to consider the type of dance floor you’ll be using when testing for the right grip power. For example, the grip requirement of a wooden dance floor is different from that of a carpeted floor.
Generally, you should avoid tennis and running shoes because they provide the most traction. Shoes that stick to the floor will not let you move smoothly and swiftly and may even cause injuries.
- Extra Shock Absorption. The best shoes for Zumba have soft insoles and extra cushioning that will conveniently carry your weight and absorb shock. Zumba features a lot of jumping, so you have to look for shoes with great shock absorption to protect your feet. Without fine cushioning, your feet will hurt early in your workout and may even injure you if you keep dancing.
If everything about your shoes is perfect aside from the insoles, a good trick is to use gel inserts that are specifically made for aerobic dance exercises.
- Split Soles. The best Zumba shoes feature two separate soles, one for your toes and the ball of your foot and one for your heels. These two soles are split in the middle of your foot, which give your arch slightly less support than what a full sole can give.
Split soles are designed for flexibility and litheness – your feet can bend and point in different ways, giving you more room for movement and direction. However, if you are totally new to dancing or have problems with your arches, it is best to stay away from split soles.
- Lightweight construction. Dance shoes are typically made of lightweight materials that won’t weigh the wearer down. This provides more flexibility and breathability for your feet. It is also worth noting that the best shoes for Zumba are constructed with mesh uppers and a fine lacing system.
How Can You Choose the Best Shoes for Zumba?
The 5 main features of the best shoes for Zumba are just your guidelines in choosing the perfect match for your feet. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide on what you should buy. The major considerations are your comfort and safety, so be sure to test out your Zumba footwear before purchasing them. Here are some tips on how to test if the Zumba shoes you’re eyeing are the perfect fit for your feet:
- Wiggle your toes and your heels inside your new Zumba shoes. Your toes should have enough room to wiggle in. Your toe box should not be too tight or too loose; the same goes for the back of your shoes. If your shoes aren’t perfectly snug, your feet might develop painful blisters or bunions after hours of Zumba workouts.
- Try to walk, glide, pivot, and jump with your Zumba shoes. If you can’t glide smoothly or twist properly, injuries may occur during your dance workouts. If you jump and your descent is too hard, your body will suffer too much shock. Choose the best Zumba shoes that will give you maximum support and comfort.
However, shopping for the best shoes for Zumba online can be a bit trickier. When doing this, make sure to read customer reviews for you to be guided with choosing the right shoe size, style, and color.
The fun and success in doing Zumba significantly rely on the best pair of Zumba shoes. Getting the right footwear for Zumba will give you maximum comfort and support while preventing you from suffering any physical injuries. Having the wrong shoes will definitely put you at a disadvantage when doing Zumba exercises, so you have to pay extra attention to the kind of shoes you wear. Explore the wide range of options you have when looking for the best Zumba shoes and your feet will thank you for it!